Our Tax Advisory and Representation Group provides tax advisory, tax compliance and tax litigation services to clients in various sectors of the Nigerian economy, including energy and natural resources, manufacturing, agriculture, information technology, real estate, healthcare and gaming industries.
Our core team is made up of experienced tax experts with cumulative finance, legal and tax practice experience in excess of fifty (50) years.
We have extensive experience in rendering efficient and quality services to clients, and also provide support in ensuring their compliance with tax filings.
Highlights of our experience
- Contract structuring for compliance with local laws and tax efficiency, especially on behalf of multinational companies operating in the oil and gas sector.
- Tax due diligence conducted for a leading global private equity fund manager on its proposed investments in a leading indigenous ICT company, pharmaceutical chain and other healthcare service providers in Nigeria.
- Tax advisory services to an international donor agency on the tax impact of proposed business models, determining the most tax efficient model, and proposing the necessary tax reforms to achieve the objective of the project.
- Tax support to a leading indigenous ICT company on claim of tax refund and resolution of tax audit liabilities of about N2.7 billion.
- Tax support to various local and multinational companies in respect of tax audits being conducted by Federal Inland Revenue Service (“FIRS”) and relevant State Board of Internal Revenue, resulting in cumulative tax savings in excess of N6 billion.
- Representing a leading conglomerate in Nigeria before the Body of Appeal Commissioners (predecessor of the Tax Appeal Tribunal) and the Federal High Court in a dispute involving a claim of nearly N200 million by the FIRS. The Appeal Commissioners found for the FIRS, but the finding was reversed in part on appeal.
- Successfully defended a Nigeria’s foremost estate agency in tax litigation initiated by the Lagos State Board of Internal Revenue at the High Court of Lagos State to recover disputed back taxes in excess of N18 million.
- Tax compliance (computation, review, filing and audit support) for several clients, including the Nigerian subsidiary of the world’s leading enterprise software company and a global leader in the consumer electronics business.
- Tax compliance support to Edo State Board of Internal Revenue and Lagos State Internal Revenue Service on the audit of tax records of various companies operating in the state.
- Revenue consultancy services to the Enugu State Government, including the conduct of tax audit of various companies.
- Representing a leading indigenous oil and gas companies in respect of tax disputes with FIRS at the Supreme Court of Nigeria.